- 2lb chicken breasts – no skin, off the bone
- 1/2 cup Orange juice (plus 2 tablespoons – set aside – for cooking)- low sugar varieties work well
- 1 can (14 oz) crushed, or diced no salt added tomatoes
- Non stick spray (like Pam)
- ¼ cup minced onion (if using dried minced onion use about 1 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons fresh crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne or Mexican chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh Cilantro (or 2 tablespoons dried cilantro leaves)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Take 1/2 c. Orange Juice & Chicken, place in a heavy duty freezer zip-lock bag, let marinate in fridge 1-1.5 hours
Spray glass Pyrex baking dish with non stick spray (lightly), then add marinated chicken
Add additional 2 tablespoons OJ, and the rest of the spices to the salt and pepper. Mix around in the glass dish to make sure everything is coated on the chicken.
Sprinkle with Cilantro (I use a lot cause I like a strong flavor, dried cilantro is more mild)
Cover with tin foil, and poke a few wholes for additional steam venting
Place in the over and bake for 30 minutes, then remove the tin foil, turn up the heat to 400 degrees and cook another 15 minutes (or until chicken juices run clear)
Remove from the oven, and let the dish rest about 5 minutes, so the chicken can absorb the tomato sauce its sitting in, Then enjoy!
This dish serves well with roasted rosemary potatoes, rice, quinoa salad, and my favorite is Spanish rice and tortillas.